PDF Download: Introductory speech by the Kurdish Women’s Movement V01 EN
Introductory speech by the Kurdish Women’s Movement
International Theoretical Seminar on Women’s Liberation
2-4 December 2018 – Bangalore
Dear women, dear comrades, dear sisters,
We are honoured to be in the presence of such revolutionary, struggling women. We are especially grateful to our Indian comrades for hosting us and making this historic gathering possible. On behalf of the Kurdish women’s movement, we salute you and your resistance.
We thank the organizers for dedicating the venue hall to our precious comrade Sakine Cansiz. Sakine Cansiz, nom de guerre Sara, born 1958 in Dersim, was one of the co-founders of the Kurdistan Worker’s Party. She was detained in 1980 in the infamous military prison of Diyarbakir, where she was tortured brutally. As a leading figure of the prisoner’s resistance she became a living legend. After her release in 1991, she joined the Kurdish guerrilla. She played a special role in the founding of the Kurdish women’s guerrilla and the autonomous organisation of women within the Kurdish liberation movement. On January 9, 2013 together with two of her comrades, Fidan Dogan and Leyla Saylemez, she was assassinated by the Turkish intelligence in Paris/France. , Comrade Sara has been a symbol for women’s resistance during her lifetime and continues to drive our struggle beyond her death.
Continue reading “International Theoretical Seminar : Introductory speech by the Kurdish Women’s Movement”
PDF Download: Lecture Womens Liberation Dec 2018 India_EN_ec
Monika Gärtner-Engel and Halinka Augustin, November 2018
Dear friends and comrades,
I will read out a joint presentation written by Monika Gärtner-Engel, the former European coordinator and a provider of ideas for the World Women’s Conference and this seminar – and by myself. Monika is also the co-author of the book, New Perspectives for the Liberation of Women, which has been translated into seven languages to date and is studied and discussed in many countries worldwide. Unfortunately, she cannot participate herself but sends us warm greetings and best wishes for success. Although she cannot be present we asked her to contribute to this speech on the topic, which is based on the above-mentioned book! I will now read out the contribution.
Dear friends and comrades,
During recent years, the international militant women’s movement has obviously strengthened itself, accomplished great achievements through struggle, and has made significant progress.
Let us just look at the last few months:
- Thousands of female workers of You Li International in Cambodia have been fighting since July. Shorter time allowances worsen the working conditions. The wages of the workers who do not fulfill the targets are cut; this also applies to pregnant women.
- In Swaziland on 18 September, 10,000 female and male workers from five textile plants went on strike for higher wages and better working conditions – despite being violently attacked by the police.
- Since the end of September, in Indonesia thousands of female workers of the garment factory PT II Jin Sun have been on strike, because their wages have not been paid for months.
- For two months, female textile workers in Myanmar went on strike for better working conditions. Their demands were largely fulfilled. The management sent in gangs of thugs. Since that time, the women have been organizing a protest camp in front of the gates.
- At the end of October 3,000 female workers of the garment factory Ivory Vietnam went on strike against too many extra shifts, low extra pay, and too expensive canteen meals.
Conclusion: more and more women are becoming part of the international industrial proletariat and the working class. They constitute the backbone of the militant women’s movement. The numerous female textile workers are in the vanguard worldwide.
Continue reading “Theoretical Seminar of the World Women’s Movement: Introductory Presentation on the Liberation of Women (3rd Day)”
Theses of the impulse paper by Monika Gaertner-Engel for the theoretical seminar on the theory of women’s liberation, India, December 2018
- The international militant women’s movement has a great wealth of experience and achievements in fighting for the liberation of women. However, the fundamental side of what is necessary to create the basis for this liberation is severely underestimated.
- Only a revolutionary solution lays the foundation for the social liberation of women! An analysis of the major successes of the women’s movement and their actual limitations within capitalism.
- Lessons from history until today – revolutions were locomotives for the most far-reaching women’s rights so far.
- All of the many struggles taking place today are important on the way to the liberation of women, but they have to be led as training ground of the fight for the liberation of women.
- The goal of liberating women can only be achieved jointly, across ideological and party-political lines and based on principles. For this the militant women’s movement has to be non-party affiliated. This results from the common aim of the complete emancipation of women, the liberation of women in liberated societies.
- About the Kurdistan Women’s Liberation Movement: Having a history of 40 years in total, the women within the Kurdish National Liberation Struggle are organising themselves autonomously since the early 1990’s. This process that started first within the guerrilla ranks by establishing a women’s guerrilla army today has reached a level of equal participation and representation in all parts of the struggle. Inside the women are organised autonomously and are the ones that take all decisions on women. But the ideological and practical struggle for true liberation continues as it aims to liberate both women and men from the patriarchal and capitalist-modernist mind of state. The women’s struggle within the Kurdish liberation movement marks a revolution within a revolution. It is based on the idea that true revolutions must be female; that liberation theories and ideologies need to take the issue of women’s liberation in it’s centre. The one who started first analysis on women’s status within the society and the liberation of women was the founder and leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), Abdullah O He was abducted through a NATO-operation in 1999 and since then kept in solitary confinement on a prison island in Turkey. Sakine Cansiz, nom de guerre ‘Sara’, was one of the first female revolutionaries in Kurdistan. Cansiz was founding member of the PKK. She was imprisoned in 1980 and brutally tortured. By leading the resistance in the prisons against the colonialist Turkish state she became a living legend. She was at the same time a living history of the Kurdish women’s liberation struggle. On January 9, 2013 Sakine Cansiz, together with her comrades Fidan Dogan and Leyla Saylemez, was assassinated by the Turkish intelligence service in Paris/France.
Continue reading “Theoretical Seminar 2018: Key theses of the introductory speech by the Kurdish Women’s Movement”
23.11.18: The All India Revolutionary Women’s Organisation (AIRWO) is proud to host the International Theoretical Seminar on the Liberation of Women from 2nd – 4th December, 2018, in Bengaluru. The Seminar, which will be held in Spoorthidhama, Anjananagar, Bengaluru, is an initiative of the World Women’s Conference, an international coordination of rank and file women working to build a global solidarity of struggling women. AIRWO has been a part of the World Women’s Conference since it began its journey in Venezuela in 2011. The decision to hold an international theoretical seminar was adopted by the Second World Women’s Conference held in Nepal in 2016.
The three-day international seminar will have participants from countries of Asia, West Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America. There will also be around 200 participants from around 15 states of India. Women from across the world will speak and interact on the problems confronting women’s liberation, possible strategies to overcome the same and efforts to build a just and egalitarian society. The emphasis of the seminar will be on exchange and interaction rather than one-way deliberations.
Continue reading “Theoretical Seminar: Press Statement: AIRWO Hosts International Theoretical Seminar on the Liberation of Women in Bengaluru”
Translation from German with online machine translation due to time constraints:
International Theoretical Seminar on the Liberation of Women
in the “Sakine Cansize Hall” / Spoorthidhama from 2. – 4.12.18 in Bangalore/ India
For the first time since the establishment of the movement for World Women’s Conferences of Basic Women 12 years ago, world women from four continents are organizing an international strategy debate on ways and objectives of women’s liberation. The spectrum of views and statements is broad:
where does the special oppression of women worldwide come from? What are their roots? What are the reasons for their particular exploitation? Are there countries where women have equal rights? What lessons can we learn from history? What significance does the struggle for the liberation of women have for the liberation of humanity from exploitation and oppression – and vice versa? etc. etc.
On the basis of analyses, facts and experience reports we will exchange ourselves. The whole spectrum of women’s movements will have their say.
One thing is clear: in the analyses of the women’s liberation ideology the movements differ. But that is not a problem. We see this fundamental debate as an enrichment for further cooperation in terms of content and practice.
In this sense, come, join in, send your speeches to us or give them to other women. The countdown is on! The theoretical seminar of basic women is a milestone at the zenith of the 2nd World Women’s Conference to the 3rd World Women’s Conference 2021.
The results will be incorporated into the timetable for the 3rd World Conference on Women. The character of a basic women’s seminar will also be organised by the subsequent visit to Indian women’s organisations on 5 December 18.
Of course such a seminar is a challenge for the content and practical preparation.
The organisation team in India works tirelessly on the preparations. Sharmistha Choudhury writes: “The closer the seminar gets, the more nervous I get. I hope that everything will be all right! Today I start the train from Calcutta to Bangalore. It is a journey of 36 hours. I will be in Bangalore for five days to check all the appointments on the spot. We have rented a translation equipment, can you support us with interpreters? We have set up an office. Hopefully the participants have booked their hotels? This is very important! We already have many registrations, from India we expect 200 – 250 participants, from Nepal 12 women will arrive, from Africa we expect about 6 women, from Europe about 40 – 50 women, from the Near and Middle East we have registrations. Greetings from India, Sharmistha.
p.s. the weather in Bangalore in December, about 27°C!”
The theoretical seminar on the liberation of women is a joint work of the militant women’s movement with those responsible in Africa, Asia, Southern Kurdistan and Europe. Many helping hands and heads support the preparations to the best of their ability and actively contribute to the success of the seminar:
* Visa applications are filled in from continent to continent via skype
* Travel groups meet and organize their participation (content and organization)
* One for all – in order to enable one representative to participate, women e.g. in Africa do not participate
* Brigadists take leave, donate travel expenses,
* without cash nothing going on! The seminar is a joint effort and is therefore financed jointly. Donations are very welcome.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Please find below the offers the from People-to-People travel agency:
Travel schedule for 9 day trip in English
Travel schedule 7 day trip in English
Information regarding offer
People to People Reisen
Telefon: ++49 0209 1776560
Fax: ++49 0209 1776561
we are looking forward to this international gathering of women in India! It is a historic meeting – women of the world discuss together the theory of the liberation of women!
Meanwhile we have received calls from all over India from women who want to participate in the seminar. That is very exciting! We also receive registrations from other continents! Welcome to Bangalore!
Staying overnight in a mass accommodation:
The rented meeting room offers common sleeping facilities for about 200-250 women, including 4 rooms, 2 dormitories and halls in which they provide mattresses for sleeping.
Staying overnight in a hotel – you have to rent them yourself.
Those who stay overnight in the Massenquartier will get a breakfast there. If you stay overnight in a hotel, you will have breakfast there. There is tea and snacks as well as lunch for all. Dinner can be served to everyone in the meeting room if needed, but we thought people would prefer to eat outdoors at a time of their choosing.
Advertising. We print 10,000:
We are printing 10,000 posters to be hung all over India.
We are currently calculating the cost of participation and sending it to the homepage!
The coordinators of the World Women’s Conferences of Basic Women and the organisation team in India will inform you about the current state of preparations!
Until today we have Registrations:
From the roof of the world from Nepal/Kathmandu
from Latin America
The organisation team launches an advertising campaign in Asia
And for all women who would like to see more of India, the travel agency People to People offers the possibility of a subsequent trip.
You are in negotiations with a progressive Indian tour operator. The offer should be a group travel program, after the seminar. The duration: approx. 1 week, with the possibility of extending a few days, e.g. beach holiday.
Who has interest in it, should itself before the flight reservation with People to People journeys in connection set over email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone under 0209 1776560.
People to People Reisen will also be happy to advise you on your flight bookings and book the flights for you.
As soon as the travel program is finished, we will publish it on our homepage. If you are interested, please contact us directly, the friends of People to People will be happy to inform you.
The preparations for the content are also in full swing. The seminar is a contribution of the international militant women’s movement to the theoretical discussion about ways and goals of the liberation of women. It is a seminar of grassroots women. It is addressed to all interested women, factory workers, farmers, housewives, nurses, educators etc. You do not need to have studied or speak many languages. Every woman can participate in these discussions and contribute her diverse experiences. The theoretical processing of the diverse practical experience and life experience will help us to get a clear view in these troubled times.